Monday, April 1, 2013

Holiness in body

Eating healthy and staying healthy is hard work!  It's a battle and a daily one at that.  I know the Lord wants me to take care of my body because it is the temple of the Holy Spirit and I am to glorify Him  with it.  I must then realize that true holiness includes control over my physical body and its appetite. With menopause, health issues and just plain lack of self-control, I have not been at my healthiest the last few years.  In February 2012, I made a commitment to give up soda and cut way down on my consumption of sugar and starches.  A year and minus 25 lbs. later I am feeling much better.  Unfortunately  because of my illness I wasn't able to exercise and lost muscle tone.  So at the beginning of March I began an exercise routine of walking ( power walk at home DVD)  This is a wonderful christian DVD by Leslie Sansone that my sweet friend gave to me. ( thank you Kathy Smith) It's a 3 mile weight loss walk done to fun music that keeps you walking at just the right fat burning speed.  I have also added bike riding to my fitness routine now that the weather has been so beautiful.  I love being out doors riding my bike while taking in all the colorful spring blooms!  Speaking of spring blooms, gardening is also a great way of getting some exercise in and I am loving my herb garden.  Last year I planted basil, sage, thyme, mint, rosemary, cilantro and fever few and more to be added this week.  An increase in herbs, veggies, fruit and nuts are a part of my new health routine as well.  With prayer and the Lords help I am establishing a healthy eating pattern and changing my taste and cravings from unhealthy foods to healthy whole foods.  Susannah Wesley wrote over 200 years ago, "Whatever increases the strength and the authority of your body over your mind- that thing is sin to you." Here is a prayer and a scripture I will close with.  Oh Lord let us present our bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to you, which is our reasonable service and not to be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of our mind, that we may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.  Romans 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment